Where is the Version.xml????

May 13, 2008 at 8:39 PM
I am interested in using this task for versioning our files so I was following the example of tfsbild.com and it referes to the version.xl file ie: (the structure of the Version.XML file can be found on the SDC codeplex site, see link below.).  I've searched and perhaps my searching abilities are hampered, I cannot find this file.  Please send me a link to this.
Developer
May 13, 2008 at 10:39 PM
Edited May 13, 2008 at 10:40 PM
This is documented in the Help file for the latest release (download from the release page).

The example given is
            <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
<appSettings>
<add key="major" value="1" />
<add key="minor" value="2" />
<add key="build" value="1354" />
<add key="revision" value="155" />
</appSettings>
</configuration>
Personally, I don't feel comfortable with the guidance provided in the article you have come across. It's a similar concept to what the AssemblyInfo Task provides. I've helped countless people out with versioning problems encountered when using this strategy. I really need to put together my thoughts and reasonings in a blog post. For now though, I would suggest you consider a lightweight alternative.


May 14, 2008 at 10:40 AM
Could you provide a little more information? I'm not having much joy with either of the implementations mentioned here and wondering if I should write my own. If you've got incremental assembly labelling working it'd be cool if you could you share the wisdom!

mikeFourie wrote:
This is documented in the Help file for the latest release (download from the release page).

The example given is
            <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
<appSettings>
<add key="major" value="1" />
<add key="minor" value="2" />
<add key="build" value="1354" />
<add key="revision" value="155" />
</appSettings>
</configuration>
Personally, I don't feel comfortable with the guidance provided in the article you have come across. It's a similar concept to what the AssemblyInfo Task provides. I've helped countless people out with versioning problems encountered when using this strategy. I really need to put together my thoughts and reasonings in a blog post. For now though, I would suggest you consider a lightweight alternative.





Developer
May 14, 2008 at 11:11 AM
Are you using TFS? There is a sample here covering the lightweight alternative for TFS.

I'll try get a blog post up covering all 3 this week.

Mike


andrewmyhre wrote:
Could you provide a little more information? I'm not having much joy with either of the implementations mentioned here and wondering if I should write my own. If you've got incremental assembly labelling working it'd be cool if you could you share the wisdom!


Developer
Jun 2, 2008 at 11:23 PM
Hi Andrew. I've finally put a few thoughts together on this: here

mikeFourie wrote:
Are you using TFS? There is a sample here covering the lightweight alternative for TFS.

I'll try get a blog post up covering all 3 this week.

Mike


andrewmyhre wrote:
Could you provide a little more information? I'm not having much joy with either of the implementations mentioned here and wondering if I should write my own. If you've got incremental assembly labelling working it'd be cool if you could you share the wisdom!