Tools.SandcastleBuilder config. issues

May 21, 2008 at 9:33 PM

Hi
I've been trying to generate a CHM during a TFS 2008 automated build from within the TFSBuild.proj file.
Here is the Msbuild script :

I keep getting this error : 

Task "Tools.SandcastleBuilder"
  Creating Help documentation.
  Assemblies included in Sandcastle Help Builder project generation.
  \\UNC\c$\dir\buildnumber\Debug\file.dll

SandcastleBuilder.ErrorLocatingAssemblies
 Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
 A task error has occured.
 Message           = Error setting up Sandcastle Help File Builder project "C:\dir\file.shfb".
 ProjectFilePath   = C:\dir\file.shfb
 OutputPath        = C:\Downloads
 HelpFileFormat    = <null>
 SandcastlePath    = C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\ProductionTools
 PresentationStyle = <null>
 Assemblies        = Microsoft.Build.Framework.ITaskItem[]
 ToolPath          = <null>
 Timeout           = -1
    at Microsoft.Sdc.Tasks.Tools.SandcastleBuilder.InternalExecute()
    at Microsoft.Sdc.Tasks.Tools.ToolTaskBase.Execute()

I've verified that the DLL resides in the drop folder and Sandcastle reports that it has the reference to it.
What am I missing.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Alistair

Coordinator
May 28, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Hi,

Please can you verify that you have installed the Sandcastle Help File Builder available here on Codeplex? If so, first thing to check is that you can generate the help file from the GUI, come back to me when you've done that and we can narrow it down to the scripts.

Andrew

May 30, 2008 at 9:23 PM

hey Andrew

Yes, Sandcastle Help File Builder is installed and I have successfully generated a CHM via the GUI tool.

thanks
Alistair

Coordinator
Jun 2, 2008 at 1:22 PM
Ok, I've been able to produce something close to the issue you describe. This seems to happen when accessing the dlls from a remote share; move the assemblies to a local path and try again. TFSBuild.proj by default should be placing a releases or debug assemblies folder alongside the build folder so you could access it using relative pathing.

Andrew
Jul 22, 2008 at 10:10 AM
Andrew

Even I am facing the same issue. I tried your tip by copying the dlls to a local drive. I am getting the error in that case too. Any more suggestions? I am using following code.

<CreateItem Include="D:\Build080620.4\Misc\**\*.dll">
      <Output ItemName="Binaries" TaskParameter="Include"/>
    </CreateItem>

<SandcastleBuilder Assemblies="@(Binaries)" OutputPath=".\" SandcastlePath="C:\Program Files\EWSoftware\Sandcastle Help File Builder" ProjectFilePath="D:\SandCastleProjectTemplate.shfb"/>

Jul 24, 2008 at 1:25 PM
this is a test!