Main point of assembly and build number synchronization?

Jul 1, 2008 at 11:06 AM
What's the main point of assembly and build number synchronization if new AssemblyInfos.cs files haven't been checkedIn in TFS? Everyone who will download project after you from TFS will not notice assemblyNumber changes.
Developer
Jul 1, 2008 at 12:48 PM
Hi, could you elaborate on your question / concern?
Jul 1, 2008 at 4:08 PM
Sure. Point of question is:
I think that only  changing of local (which is on BuildMachine) AssemblyInfo.cs file and keeping without changing AssemblyInfo.cs file that located in SourceControl is not correct. Microsoft.Sdc.Task contains tools only for modify local file.  Why shouldn't we update it everywhere.
I might be wrong in my argumentation cause  it's new for me.

mikeFourie wrote:
Hi, could you elaborate on your question / concern?

Developer
Jul 4, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Hi, apologies for the delay in replying...

Build number / assembly number synchronisation is only relevant on the build server, however you a can use the TFS tasks or other tasks to sync changes to the server. It doesn’t matter if your fellow developers have a different of the assemblyinfo file, it matters that they have the latest version of the relevant code base. If you haven't read it yet, take a read of this post: http://freetodev.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!EC3C8F2028D842D5!404.entry, for some thoughts on versioning files in TFS (actually applies in general).

Mike